3/21/09

Riddle me this:

What law of physics is it that turns every bottle of juice and/or food upside-down in whatever receptacle you choose to place it in, on matter how carefully you prop or stash said bottle?
List of receptacles that are now coated with apple juice and various blended foods: my shoulder bag, my travel bag, the carrier under the shopping stroller, the carrier behind the running stroller, the actual body of the running stroller, both back seats of the car and the front passenger seat. There are probably more, I just can't think of them right now. It's coming up on summer, which means that I'm going to have to disinfect each and every one of these receptacles or I'll have juice-addled bees buzzing around QQ all summer long, which will make me crazy since we don't yet know how she reacts to bee bites.

Note: the one and only receptacle that prevents bottles from turning instantly upside-down is the side pocket of my Storksak. It's a miracle. Kudos to the Storksak people for their apparently unique design savvy.

After word: Believe me, I'd love to be able to switch to spill-proof bottles - oh, would I!...but since her diet is "liquified" rather than "liquid", we still have to use nipples with holes cut in them so she can eat. This is also why I'm not so sure that she'll fill out when she switches completely to solid food- I am pretty sure she's going to eat more pickily when she can choose what she wants off the plate. I think she's just a whippet of a girl. And that's fine...mommies just worry sometimes. What she eats right now is a much fuller and more rounded diet than any toddler I know...because she will can and does eat ANYTHING and everything that I throw in the blender. I've blended an entire turkey dinner completely with stuffing, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, green beans and cranberry sauce. I've blended an adult spaghetti dinner with spicy sausage, peppers, fresh tomatoes and parmesan, or a pork and broccoli stir fry with rice and some Thai coconut soup to liquefy it. In any given lunch, I usually throw in two eggs in addition to meat...just because I can. She eats more fresh fruit and yogurt in a day than we do in a week, because I keep mangoes, raspberries, blackberries, bananas, peaches etc for her breakfasts and pre-nap snacks. The kids eats like a steeplechaser.
So I guess, the leakage all over everything I own is the price I pay for feeding her this well. I figure after the nearly zero-nutrition diet she had during the first 11 months, she can use all the catch-up nutrition she can get. Even if it's at the expense of my car seats. Sigh.

3 comments:

Vivian M said...

Once you swith QQ to the spill proof sippy or straw cups, this should not happen anymore.
I always carried a container of wipes in my diaper bag and in the car for this very reason! And bottles were always in a ziploc bag.
In the meantime, be grateful. The mess only gets proportionately larger as they grow! My car had to be vacuumed at least once a day just to get rid of the cheerios and other things that multiplied in there. And the hand vac was my best friend at home. :o)

sarahthefantastic said...

OK I am going to start making YY some shakes. So jealous of all you're getting into QQ. Love the pizza box dance too! xoxo...

Snowflowers Mum said...

our kids eat everything too...their favorite is anything thai....with some good spice thrown in! ZiZi is the best...she likes it hot!

My tumi purse took a beating last week, and a few weeks before, another purse was lost to the kafir explosion...

My diaper dude is the only thing that keeps stuff strapped in and safe.